• Three fourth cup Urad Dal
• One fourth cup red kidney beans (rajmah)
• Two tsps. Cumin seeds
• Eight garlic cloves, finely chopped
• Two inches gingerroot, finely chopped
• One tsp. garam masala powder
• Half cup fresh cream
• One tsp. red chili powder
• Three tbsp. Butter
• Two tomatoes, finely chopped (extra-large tomatoes)
• One onion, finely chopped
• One tbsp. oil or as per the requirement
Method of preparation
• Soak entire Urad dal and rajmah overnight in three to four cups of water.
• Cook the soaked dal and rajmah in the same water with the salt, red chili powder and half the finely chopped ginger until dal and rajmah are cooked and soft.
• Peel off and chop the onion, ginger and garlic superbly. Also finely chop the tomatoes.
• Heat oil or butter in a thick bottomed pot. Now, add cumin seeds, when it crackles add finely chopped onions and fry until it turns golden brown.
• Add the finely chopped ginger, garlic and finely chopped tomatoes. Sauté until the tomatoes are well crushed and fat start to leaving the masala. Now add boiled dal and raja to the mixture. Do not add the liquid at first. Crush the dals with the back of the scoop while stirring nonstop, this gives the creamy texture to the dal.
• Now add the liquid and some water if compulsory and simmer on very low heat for fifteen minutes.
• Add fresh cream and garam masala powder and let it boil for another five minutes. Finish off with a couple of pinch of Kasuri methi powder.
• Serve hot with Naan, rotis and Parathas.